An entrepreneur is a person who sets up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit.
– Oxford Dictionary Definition
Commonly, an entrepreneur is thought to be someone who engages in starting and running a business, but to me, starting and running a business simply equates to being self-employed – and 99% of self-employed people are not real entrepreneurs.
Most self-employed people are stuck. They are stuck in a cycle of trying to pay bills each month, or maybe they are making reasonable money but they are working too hard. They sometimes get stuck in their inability to grow their businesses, or they can’t get out of their comfort zone ruts that have become bad habits they don’t know how to break. For the most part, self-employed people are stuck working far too hard and not getting fairly rewarded for it.
I believe that most people start a business in order to live a better, more fulfilling quality of life. However, due to negative personal programming, unfavourable circumstances, lack of education or inspiration, or the understanding that all good things take time and constructive progressive effort, most people become despondent and completely lose sight of their original intention in wanting to become an entrepreneur in the first place.
The real entrepreneur on the other hand, lives a fulfilled, exciting life that is truly rewarding, both financially and spiritually. The real entrepreneur generates effortless wealth and has masses of free time to do truly meaningful things outside of his or her business.
- The REAL Entrepreneur owns a business that generates healthy profits and pays out wonderful dividends each year.
- The REAL Entrepreneur is driven by purpose and has wonderful connections with their staff, suppliers and clients.
- The REAL Entrepreneur does not have to work in the business, but if they choose to, they only need to work a few hours a day or a few days a week.
- The REAL Entrepreneur is always able to see what is happening in the business from a distance.
- The REAL Entrepreneur is able to go on long holidays at least twice a year without worrying for a minute whether the business is operating optimally.
- The REAL Entrepreneur is able to spend more time with family and friends and dedicate however much time they want to helping your community in a way that brings them joy and great personal fulfilment.
If you are not living the above or progressively moving towards it, then you are not realising your potential as a REAL Entrepreneur, but rather, you’re staying a stuck and struggling ‘self-employed’ entrepreneur. Hard to face? Yes, undoubtedly if it applies to you, but accepting what is, is the only way to identify what is not working for you, and introduce positive new strategies to shift from a struggle to growing from strength to strength as you gain a firm footing in the direction of success.