We often think that successful entrepreneurs are gifted people who are born with a set of skills far from the reach of commoners, and that they are destined to make it big in the world. In reality, they are people who are simply more focused about certain aspects of life. Here are 10 ways that entrepreneurs make it big quickly:
- Have a vision: Instead of dreaming about being successful, develop a concrete vision of how you want to make it big. What is it that you could make, or build, or sell, or organise that could take you to a height? Where ordinary people see a school science project, people with vision see the next big invention; where ordinary people see a useless plot of land, entrepreneurs see the next lucrative investment; when everyone is cursing the economy, entrepreneurs scout the market for potential prospects. The stronger your vision, the better the scope of making it big. If you don’t have an original idea yet, study and think hard until you find one.
- Be good at it: Most successful entrepreneurs started out with the intention of being the best at what they were doing. The rest took care of itself. Strive to be good at what you choose as your field of operation, and do not compromise with it – you won’t have to run after the material gains, they will run after you. Be passionate about what you believe will help you make it big.
- Form a team: The vision may come from one person, but it takes a group of like-minded people to create and sustain something. You may be the captain of your ship, but you need a loyal crew to steer the ship forward. Make strong bonds with people who share your vision and take care of them if you feel that they will stay with you through thick and thin. Don’t look down upon them, and you will have their respect.
- Immerse yourself in a positive environment: If you want to be the next big thing, you don’t have the luxury to laze around. Remove yourself from non-productive environments, like lazy friends who make you idle, or jobs that make you stagnate and kill your creativity.
- Embrace your mistakes: There isn’t a single successful individual on earth who has had a totally smooth journey. If you haven’t tasted the bitter brunt of failure, you are not a complete human being. No matter how clever you are, life will put you down somehow. Be prepared to pick yourself up when you fall, and use the pain of failure to your advantage. Your mistakes teach you important lessons; they harden you and make you wiser.
- Assimilate talent: You’re not the smartest person in the world, and you can’t know and do everything. Don’t feel intimidated by someone who does something better than you. Instead of driving them away, assume the role of a motivator and use their talent to serve your bigger goals. Teach yourself to work harmoniously and effectively with people of different skill levels.
- Networking is everything: Don’t expect people to know you just because you are doing good work. You have to reach out to make yourself known. Connect with all strata of people by networking horizontally and vertically.
- Focus on raising capital: Most great entrepreneurs agree that raising capital is much more difficult in practice than in theory. Form effective schemes to raise capital, and then spend wisely.
- Be prepared for the long journey: Steve Jobs famously said, “Most overnight successes took a long time.” The plain truth is, nothing happens overnight. It will take time and energy for your dream to become reality, and it will be a bumpy ride.
- Know your industry, know your customer: Don’t try to make quick money by investing in something that you don’t know much about. You must have detailed, firsthand knowledge and experience in the business that you want to dive in. Be sure of the demographic of your customer base, their needs, their tastes and choices before you try to make it big.
Inculcate these 10 traits above and you are definitely on your way to making it big!
Written by Sachin Mittal
Sachin defines success as not just wealth creation for self but for others and believes that he is in the profession to make people happy. He strives to generate employment and has been the turning point for thousands of lives. His way of life and work and his motivating lines benefit all his employees, stakeholders and hundreds of youngsters and inspire an ordinary person to strive to become extraordinary.